Make Your Own Space Rocket!
Get ready to blast off into space by creating your very own rocket from everyday items we throw away. Take a look at the ideas below to help inspire your own design – the more out of this world the better!
Once you’re done don’t forget to enter our Rocket Competition by sending a photo of your rocket to firstname.lastname@example.org, see below for more details on how to enter.
You will need:
Try making your rocket with:
Newspapers and magazines
You can also use:
You could also try making:
Moon Buggies and more
* Use red, orange and yellow tissue paper to complete the blast off experience.
* Don’t forget to add a window in your rocket – you could also draw a picture of an astronaut to fit in it.
* Remember all the best space rockets should have a name. What will you name yours?
Ipswich School Rocket Competition
Now that you have seen how to create some amazing rockets we want YOU to show us your best, mega-blasting, space-tastic rockets and you could win a prize!
The photo of the best design will win tickets to the Family Concert in the school's Festival of Music, which will have a space theme. Held on Sunday 13th October at 2pm at Ipswich School, the concert is an opportunity for the whole family to join us on an adventure through space! Musical treats with an intergalactic theme, and there will also be a ‘have a go’ session on various instruments after the concert. The concert lasts for 50 minutes and is suitable for ages 5+.
How to Enter
How to Enter
All you have to do to enter our competition is build a rocket using junk materials, using the ideas we have demonstrated on this page as a guide to start you off.
The grown-up will need to send a photo of your rocket to email@example.com, putting ROCKET COMPETITION in the subject heading. Please include the name and age of the child entering the competition.
If you would like a photo of you with your special rocket as well that is fine, as long as a grown up has given permission. Please see the Terms and Conditions on this page for more information. Any photos which are sent in may be featured in a special gallery on our website and used on social media.
Terms and Conditions
- Children need to be aged 12 or under on 31 August 2019 to be able to enter into the competition.
- An adult needs to email the competition entry to Ipswich School. By emailing you are consenting to Ipswich School using your child's name, age and possibly photo on the website and social media. If your child's photo is used then only their first name and age will appear next to the photo.
- The deadline for entries emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org is 5pm Saturday 7 September 2019.
- The designs will be judged by a panel from Ipswich School. The prize for the winning design chosen by the panel is 2 adults and 2 childrens tickets for the Ipswich School Festival of Music Family Concert – An Adventure in Space on Sunday 13 October 2019, 2pm, Great School, Ivry Street.
- No alternative prize is offered and the judges’ decision is final.
Ipswich School's Elmer Armstrong elephant. Elmer copyright 2017 David McKee. Licensed by Andersen Press, London.
Elmer Armstrong is situated right at the front of Ipswich School on Henley Road. Come and say hello!