The OI Club organises a wide range of sporting events during the year. The focus varies from the very competitive to sport where the emphasis is much more on participation and social side.
In many instances the events also involve teams or individuals who are currently at the School. Members of the teaching staff, past and present, often attend. As a result these events are a great way of catching up with people.
The events are popular and generally well attended. There is, however, always room for more competitors and spectators alike. With the excellent school facilities now available, notably the Ipswich School Sports Centre, Rushmere, the OI club encourages as many OIs as possible to come along.
The principal events organised currently are:
- Fives – Tournament and dinner in January (by invitation) plus an annual match against the School in December
- Cross Country – Match against the School in March
- Golf – Four meetings per year, from March to September, at Stowmarket, Purdis, Woodbridge and Felixstowe golf clubs
- Hockey – Matches between OI sides and other at the OI Spring Sports Festival
- Netball - Matches between OI sides and often the School at the OI Spring Sports Festival
- Football - Matches between OI sides and others at the OI Spring Sports Festival
- Table Tennis - Tournament at the OI Spring Sports Festival
- Cricket – Match against the School in June/July
- Rugby Sevens - Tournament, now held in September
- Tennis – Match against the School in September
- Rounders – Match against the School in July
All of the above events involve some sort of social get together afterwards, typically with some food and drinks laid on by the OI Club. The OI Sports Festival is now held at the latest School sports facility – the Ipswich School Sports Centre. On top of several football pitches and a state of the art all weather hockey pitch, the centre has its own excellent changing facilities, plus bar and dining area.
More detailed information on the different events typically comes out in the various OI publications and communications in the preceding months.
The OI club is keen to hear from anyone who would like to take part in or organise a team to participate in any of the events, or who would like to organise any other sporting activities. There are of course a huge range of sports now played at the School which don’t currently have a corresponding OI organised event.
Spectators are very welcome to OI sporting events.