Drama and Theatre A Level
Head of Department: Mrs Sophie Pitt
How does an actor bring a role to life on stage? What influences the way a director approaches a script? How do you evaluate the success of a live theatre performance? Where do you start when creating your own performance piece? In Drama and Theatre, we will learn to do all of the above and more. You will explore the diversity of the world of theatre and learn to analyse, interpret and create imaginative performances. While this A Level is academic, it is an active, creative course which aims to nurture your enthusiasm for theatre, as a performer, director, writer and member of the audience.
What do you do in Drama and Theatre?
The theoretical study of practitioners, theatre history and theatrical
genres underpin practical explorations, encouraging you to interpret text
in challenging and innovative ways. You will perform published scripts,
and you will learn to devise and write your own work. The course provides
you with transferable skills, including team work, problem solving and
the ability to deal with challenging situations, that are desirable in many
different careers. We currently study the Edexcel syllabus and offer the
two-year linear course. This is comprised of the following components:
1. DEVISING 40%
- Creating an original piece of theatre based on a stimulus and a key
practitioner. Students can take the role of performer/designer/director.
- A portfolio evidencing the devising process and evaluating the final
2. TEXT IN PERFORMANCE 20%
- A group performance of an extract from a professionally published play
- A monologue/duologue from a published play.
3. THEATRE MAKERS IN PRACTICE 40% (WRITTEN EXAM)
- Evaluation of live theatre
- Deconstruction of a text from page to stage in light of the work of a
- Interpreting a performance text and re-imagining a directorial concept.
Average of the A Level results in Drama and Theatre achieved by Ipswich School students over the most recent three year period (2016, 2017 and 2018)
Drama and Theatre Studies - % A*- B = 69%