History

Head of Department: Olivia Tollemache

Exam Board: Edexcel

A-level history provides an interesting and challenging course which enhances students’ skills of analysis andability to write persuasive, lucid arguments. Students are encouraged by teachers who are working in their specialist areas. Courses are delivered using materials written by the department and supported by a wide range of relevant books. Students are guided in the direction of further reading as their own interests develop. They will be encouraged to argue and debate both with peers and teachers. Over time students will increasingly work independently and become self-sufficient learners. Most importantly students will cover some of the most fascinating and controversial aspects of modern history.

In Year 12 we study the history of Germany and West Germany from 1918-1989, including an investigation into the historical debate around the causes of WorldWar II. This is accompanied by a paper that considers the rise and fall of fascism in Italy c1911-1946.

In Year 13 students go on to consider the relationship between Ireland and the Union c1774-1923. There is also a coursework module where students produce an independent piece of work on a historical debate related to the Holocaust.

There are three exams at the end of Year 13 comprising 80% of the final outcome, the other 20% is the coursework.

Exam Results

Average of the A Level results in History achieved by Ipswich School students over the most recent three year period (2017, 2018 and 2019) A* 14%, A*-A 56%, A*-B 86%, A*-C 97%